Painting by Cheri Samba

Lokuta eyaka na ascenseur, kasi vérité eyei na escalier mpe ekomi. Lies come up in the elevator; the truth takes the stairs but gets here eventually. - Koffi Olomide

Ésthetique eboma vélo. Aesthetics will kill a bicycle. - Felix Wazekwa

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rift Valley Institute's Great Lakes Course

Together with the Rift Valley Institute, I am organizing this year's Great Lakes course, to be held in Bujumbura between July 7-13, 2012. The course is an intensive immersion in the region's rich politics and history, built around presentations by and debates among leading scholars.

This year's course will inevitably focus on the aftermath of elections in the DRC, as well as future challenges in Rwanda, and the risk of an escalation of violence in Burundi. As always, we will also spend several days exploring the deep history of the region and the roots of the conflict.

The instructors this year include:
  • Filip Reyntjens (University of Antwerp)
  • Séverin Mugangu (Governor's Office South Kivu/Université Officielle de Bukavu)
  • Anneke van Woudenberg (Human Rights Watch)
  • Jean-Paul Kimonyo (President's Office, Rwanda)
  • Steve Hege (United Nations Group of Experts)
  • Mvemba Dizolele (Johns Hopkins University)
  • Jean Omasombo (Université de Kinshasa/Royal Museum for Central Africa)
  • Greg Mthembu-Salter (Economist Intelligence Unit)
  • Willy Nindorera (International Crisis Group)
  • Koen Vlassenroot (University of Ghent)
  • Arsène Kirhero (OCHA)
The course costs $4,000, including food and lodging for a week and several local excursions. The deadline for applications is April 30, 2012. For more information, see www.riftvalley.net or this form.


6 comments:

Eunju Cha said...

Dear Mr. Jason Stearns,

I have been visiting your blog since I read your book "Dancing in the glory of monster" very interesting last year. I am resident representative of Korean development agency(KOICA) in DRC. I was thinking if I could invite you to my office so that me and my colleagues can have a chance to meet you and listen to your lecture if you sometimes visit (or stay) in Kinshasa.

I am asking you this because one week of leave for going to Brundi is hard for us even though I am very much interested in the Rift Valley course.

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Eunju Cha

Jason Stearns said...

Mr. Cha -

I will be in Kinshasa this week. Could you contact me at jason dot stearnsat yale dot edu?

Many thanks.

Adam Draper said...

Mr. Stearns,
Will there be any publications or reporting of any other kind to come out of the Great Lakes course? I have long been a student of the area's history but can not make it to a course such as this. My formal education on the topic stopped at the M.A. but I still hope to absorb as much information as I can (currently sifting through your footnotes). Any further direction would be much appreciated.

Adam Draper

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing, with my best regards.
louis vuitton bags

lv bags

Louis Vuitton Scarves

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for great sharing!!

loui vuitton outlet

louis vuitton handbags

Louis Vuitton Scarves

Unknown said...

I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts.
public administration thesis paper topics

Post a Comment